by David Athey V.P. Membership
Would your Pack like to have more Cub Scouts, more leaders, and more fun? Are you looking for ways to recruit members? Is your unit planning to carry out two recruiting events this year? Do you have a Unit Membership Chairperson? The answer to these four questions should be… YES! But how do get to yes? First, download the 2016 Membership Growth Plan. This Unit Membership Growth Plan contains everything you need to plan and carryout two successful recruiting events in 2016. Second, recruit a Unit Membership Chairperson. You’re best recruiting and retention tool is an adult unit volunteer.
Don’t delay in filling your Unit Membership Chairperson position. This Scouter is a member of your unit’s committee whose sole focus is membership growth and retention. Don’t know who to ask you say. Well, the Unit Membership Chairperson can be anyone that is energetic and wants to help. Try to find a volunteer who is a connector. A connector is someone who knows a lot of other parents. It could be a parent who is involved in PTA or other organizations. It could also be someone who is just interested in the position. The main thing is you just need to ask them.
What does a Unit Membership Chairperson do? And what resources are available to make this vital position easy? The Unit Membership Growth Plan has all the answers and tips. Since the Unit Membership Chairperson solely focuses on membership the activities are straight forward.
So what is the Council/District/Unit recruitment plan this year? A broad overview is included below. Be sure to download the Unit Membership Growth Plan (need to hyperlink this to the doc on the website) to get all the needed information.
- Conduct two recruitment/Scouting promotion events in 2016.
- Ask your local Boy Scout Troop and Order of the Arrow Chapter for recruiting help.
- Distribute membership fliers to schools and churches in the unit’s area.
- Conduct Scouting rallies and boy talks in schools, leveraging council support when needed.
- Attend the district’s membership chair training sessions, which will focus on best practices.
- Participate in the Adopt-a-School service and community service projects needed for Scouting’s Journey to Excellence score.
- Help your unit achieve Scouting’s Journey to Excellence gold status in membership.
- Update the unit’s BeAScout pin and follow up with leads.
- Make sure the unit’s Webelos transition to Scouts.
The most important thing we can do is provide an opportunity for boys to join. Download the plan now and get started. This is going to be your Scout’s best year of Scouting yet!
To download the plan, click on the link below.
Membership Growth Plan
(Click on Icon)
|BSA Marketing Toolbox || ||Download Membership Resources |
| || || |
| || || |
| ||Download Trading Post |
& Uniform Guide
| || |
To find a unit near you, go to BeAScout.org.